The experimental and computational laboratories are fully equipped with all the necessary research tools. The majority of the research laboratories are situated in the Science and Technology Park. It brings together numerous research groups and enterprises from a wide range of fields in the experimental sciences.
The experimental laboratories are well-prepared for organic and inorganic synthesis and experimental characterization, including a dry solvent purification system and gloveboxes for operation under inert atmosphere. In addition, we have access to common instrumentation of the University’s Technical Research Facilities including CG-MS, HPLC-MS, HRMS, X-Ray Diffraction instruments, Elemental Analysis and NMR.
The IQCC is well-suited with laboratories of chemical synthesis as well as laboratories of instrumentation. Each laboratory is fully equipped with rotavapors, analytical balances, fume hoods with working schlenk lines, magnetic stirrers and vacuum pumps.
– Glovebox from MBraun UNIlab with two working positions, connected to a MBraun-SPS-800 Solvent Purification for dispensing ultra-dry solvents (hexane, CH2Cl2, Et2O and THF).
– Glovebox from MBraun UNIlab with one working position.
– Glovebox GP-II-P from Jacomex with two working positions.
– HPLC: Agilent Technologies 1200 HPLC system equipped with a G1315D DAD VL detector and coupled to a 6120 series-quadrupole analyzer
– HPLC: Agilent Technologies 1260 HPLC system equipped with a 1260 Infinity variable wavelength detector
– GC-MS: Agilent Technologies 7890A Gas Chromatograph System equipped with Agilent Technologies 5975C MSD (EI, CI)
– GC-FID: Agilent Technologies 7820A Gas Chromatograph System with 16-sample automatic liquid sampler and a flame ionization detector
– GC-TCD: Agilent Technologies 7820A Gas Chromatograph System with thermal conductivity detector
– Flash chromatography: Agilent Technologies 971-FP Flash Purification System
– Cary 60 UV-Vis Agilent Technologies equipped with a cryostat from Unisoku Co.
– Agilent Technologies 8453 UV-Vis (diode array) equipped with a cryostat from Unisoku Co.
– ALPHA FT-IR Spectrometer from Bruker
– Bruker micrOTOF-QII mass spectrometer equipped with a Bruker Cryospray ionization source.
– Bruker Daltonics ESQUIRE6000 Trap LC/MS
– Electrochemical Workstation CH-600E series
For more information about instrumentation available at the Universitat de Girona, please refer to the Research and Technical Services (STR).
The computational laboratories have local clusters with computing nodes available (948 CPUs & 4 desktop GPU nodes & 22 rack form factor GPU nodes), and have had regular access to the Supercomputers of the Consortium of University Services of Catalonia. Moreover, we have had ca. 40 projects of 4 months at the Red Española de Supercomputación for a total of ca. 8 million hours. To handle these facilities, the IQCC has one informatics technician and two laboratory technicians.
The Institute of Computational Chemistry and Catalysis owns a CPU-based cluster called Beta, and some GPU-based computing nodes called BioComp.
IQCC computational resources have been purchased thanks to the FEDER Funds (European Funds for Regional Development) in collaboration with “Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad” of Gobierno de España. In particular, the beta nodes gatchan1-24 and the gamma nodes gatchan25-44 were purchased thanks to the FEDER UNGI08-4E-003 and UNGI10-4E-801 grants, respectively.
The GPU-based nodes have been purchased thanks to the CIG project (DIREVENZYME: 2013-CIG-630978).
|CPU Calculation nodes||Cores|
|gatchan1 to gatchan24 (@hpiqc3)||288|
|gatchan25 to gatchan44 (@hpiqc4)||320|
|gatchan45 to gatchan46 (@hpiqc5)||32|
|gatchan47 to gatchan57 (@hpiqc6)||308|
For each gatchan calculation node (nodes from 1 to 24):
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz and 12mb of cache
12 cores per node (6 per CPU)
880Gb of hard disk for scratch (/sgetmp)
36Gb of memory (@1333mhz)
For each gatchan calculation node (nodes from 25 to 44):
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 @ 2.60GHz and 20mb of cache
16 cores per node (8 per CPU)
440Gb of hard disk for scratch (/sgetmp)
64Gb of memory (@1600mhz)
For each gatchan calculation node (nodes from 45 to 46):
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 v2 @ 2.60GHz and 20mb of cache
16 cores per node (8 per CPU)
440Gb of hard disk for scratch (/sgetemp)
256Gb of memory (@1866mhz)
For each gatchan calculation node (nodes from 47 to 57):
2 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2680 v4 @ 2.40GHz and 35mb of cache
28 cores per node (14 per CPU)
5.5Tb of hard disk for scratch (/sgetmp)
512Gb of memory (@2400mhz)
The GPU cluster is now composed by four machines with the following specifications:
– Intel i7-4770 V3 processor at 3,4 GHz (3,9 GHz turbo) 4 cores (8 processes)
– 2 Nvidia GTX780 Graphic Cards, 3 GB RAM DDR5, 2304 cores per card
– 16 GB DDR3@1600 Kingston RAM memory
– 2 SATA II Seagate Constellation hard drives