The IQCC will be organizing a special one-day symposium on Friday October 21 in the afternoon (Aula Magna, Fac. Ciències UdG, 15.30-20.00h), with three internationally renowned speakers in the field of supramolecular chemistry. In supramolecular chemistry the chemical systems are built up from molecular subunits that are held together by non-covalent interactions. These may be weak individually and yet result in strong overall forces when they are put to work in a cumulative manner. This mode of action is most usually associated with host-guest binding events (see example shown below).
(reproduced with permission from A. Lledó, Org. Lett. 2015, 17, 3770-3773)
The invited speakers have focused on different areas of supramolecular chemistry. Prof. Rebek focused on the design of cavitands and self-assembled capsules, Prof. Fujita on the design of metal-organic capsules and frameworks, and Prof. Cronin on inorganic biology and polyoxometalates for the design of inorganic nanostructures.
|Julius Rebek Jr.
(Fudan Univ.; Scripps Research Institute)
(Univ. of Tokyo)
See here for a poster announcement of the event, and below for a schedule of the event:
- 15.45-16.00h, Opening of the Symposium
- 16.00-17.00h, “Recognition and Catalysis in Deep Cavitands”, by Prof. Julius Rebek Jr., Skaggs Institute, Department of Chemistry, The Scripps Research Institute (La Jolla, USA)
- 17.00-18.00h, “From Supramolecular Chemistry to Self-Organised Complexity”, by Prof. Lee Cronin, School of Chemistry, University of Glasgow (Glasgow, UK)
- 18.00-18.30h, Coffee break
- 18.30-19.30h, “Mathematical Control in the Self-Assembly of Giant MnL2n Polyhedra”, by Prof. Makoto Fujita, Department of Applied Chemistry, University of Tokyo (Japan)
We are looking forward to welcoming you in Girona!